R&R part one: Homecoming

Well it's been a little while. The last two weeks have been fully consumed with loving every bit of Mr and I couldn't have asked for a more perfect R&R. We vacationed, relaxed, hung out with friends and had mini adventures that I'll share throughout the next week. We're doing this in parts because there's so much to remember that I want to be sure I document it all!

It's only appropriate that we start with Homecoming day. Up there with the excitement of my wedding day. No joke. Mr and I hadn't seen each other since Christmas, so we were well overdue. We took R&R late in the game so there was an initial 9 month separation from each other. Grody, I know. But so worth it in the end. I suggest a late R&R to anyone and everyone! Though pushing through those 9 months apart was the hardest thing we've ever done, he'll be back home before we know it and saying goodbye was that much easier this time around.

The morning of his arrival I felt nervous, sick, anxious, excited, overwhelmed..you name it, I felt it. I wondered if he would look different, sound different, feel different. Would we be able to have a normal conversation and interact like we were married? The nerves ate away at me. I asked a friend of mine to drive out to the airport and capture the big moment. She helped calm my nerves once I got to the airport. I arrived about 45 minutes early..just to be safe. Didn't want to miss the moment he walked down those stairs :)

About 5 minutes earlier than scheduled, I saw his plane pull up to the terminal.
Nerves at an all time high


About 6 or 7 minutes passed and I positioned myself at the bottom of terminal B's stairs. There was another family welcoming home their hero with me. It just so happened to be someone I grew up with, small world. My heart was thudding up and down, waiting to see the boots move slowly into view on the escalator. Then some lady yelled, "There's uniforms!" I knew it meant my lover was home.


I watched for a minute as he scanned the crowd for a short blonde dressed up on a Wednesday afternoon. I caught his eye and it was nothing but smiles from there.



We hugged and kissed...a lot




I felt relieved. He was here...safe.


I don't think we stopped looking at each other all day. It was perfect. And I mean perfect, quite literally. Not that cliche, "perfect day" but the real thing. We waited a long time for that embrace and it came exactly when it needed to. Our minds had been mentally checked out of deployment and ready for some relaxation in each others arms.

He was home, where he belonged.

(okay I guess we'll stop gazing at each other and smile for the camera ;))

Stay tuned all week for the adventures we had during R&R!

22 comments:

  1. Ah, so totally amazing. I'm so happy you guys got to spend time together! Can't wait to see the other adventures (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness how sweet! I love these pictures so much!! I can't wait to see the next few parts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous pictures. So happy for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look gorgeous! I love homecoming pics! We took our R&R the same way, 9 months into it. I'm with you - I'd definitely recommend it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww this makes me so happy. You two make such a beautiful couple and I'm so glad you've had this time together. I love the hand holding picture! Looking forward to hearing more xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. soo happy for you, my darling. i can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah I wish I had someone go to the airport with me, but I didn't want it to be his parents because I wanted that special moment just for us. Anyway, I'm glad you had a great time and I agree about waiting longer for R&R. Ours was around the 8 month mark, but I can't say that things have sped up since he went back..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Homecomings are the best! I am anxiously awaiting my own right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! I totally agree - having a "late" R&R is great - we did ours about 9 months in as well, and like you said, although it was a long time to wait, it was so worth it! I adore your photos and the way I can totally see how excited you two are! It's so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We took our R&R at 9 months too - a life saver! Sure, it was harder having to wait, but those last couple of months were much easier knowing he'd be home soon. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! So glad you got to spend time together. I love all the pictures but the first b/w one it's my absolute favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, amazing pictures! You were so smart to have someone capture these!! So glad that y'all got some time together! When will he be home again?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love love!!! we are getting closer and closer to our R&R and I cried the whole way through this posting! I cant wait! Soo excited for you! Hope the rest of your time apart flies by!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. can't wait to read more!
    this made me tear up. golly.
    beautiful. <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm practically in tears! This was so sweet! I am so not looking forward to deployment... May need to contact you for some much-needed advice.
    Glad you had an amazing R&R. They are perfect, aren't they?
    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a new follower and I just LOVE your blog! Your pictures are beautiful! I'm so glad you got to spend time together and I hope you soaked it up as much as you could! I hope these next few months fly by for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh how awesome!! :) the moment was captured perfectly with these pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing pictures! I was so excited for you! You got lots of hugs and kisses to help you get through the next part of the deployment! You're in the downhill slope now!!!!!

    Hugs my friend...;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. YEA!! i got butterflies reading it, lol! i soooo know the feeling, and you looked beautiful and he looked so handsome and you both looked so cute all lovey dovey eyed at each other! i LOVE IT!!

    xoxo
    hillary

    ReplyDelete
  20. i can't even wait for this. glad you had some extra time with him in the middle :) when does he come home for good?

    ReplyDelete